titre accueil site
> Camaret-sur-Mer
About this site
Imprimer

The gilded tower guards the Armorique coasts

The Camaret tower is located at the end of a sandbank, in the heart of what is today the Iroise Marine Park and the Armorique National Regional Park. It was built from 1693 to 1696 to prevent the enemy from capturing the port of Brest and its fleet from the rear.
The tower was not even completed when, in 1694, it underwent its baptism of fire in the presence of Vauban himself who victoriously repulsed the enemy. You can still see the traces of the attack today.
The gilded tower owes its name to the colour of its coating made from ground brick and it forms a perfect example of the sea fort.
The ensemble consists of a hexagonal tower equipped with murder holes, fitted into a low semi-circular battery that surrounds a stonework ditch which water seeped into at high tide.
This site is one of the stopping-off points along “the Crozon peninsula fortification route”.

title contact

Town of Camaret-sur-Mer
Place d’Estienne d’Orves
29 570 Camaret-sur-Mer
France
Tél : +33 (0)2 98 27 94 22
camaret.vauban@orange.fr
www.camaret-sur-mer.com

loading

Loading...

UNESCO RSMV